Saturday, March 24, 2012

One Year Ago


Today was the 2012 Atlanta Women's 5k

A year ago today, I ran that race.


I signed up because Phillip and I made a New Years Resolution to run the Peachtree Road Race in July, but I wasn't sure if I could run 3 miles, let alone 6.

I needed something to motivate me to start running, and there's no better motivator than one that you're financially obligated to.

After 6 weeks of training, I ran that race. I realized that I can, in fact, run 3 miles.  It was hard work, but I could do it.

Ok.  But now can I run 6?

Registration for the Peachtree opened in March and we found it was lottery based.  We, along with two of our friends, signed up as The Bowlinski Runners, not knowing if we would get to run it or not.

Our team got picked, and after a few months of training, we showed up with the other 59,996 people to run the 10k down Peachtree Street.




We ran that race, and realized that we can also run 6 miles.


After a month of rest, and a year and a half since it was first brought up, we asked each other, "Do you want to run a marathon?"

Now, here we are, a month away from a race I never thought I'd be able to run.

A year ago today, I was just happy to run 3 miles.

Today, I ran 19.

One month from now, I'm going to run 26.2.

One month from now, Phillip and I will be marathoners.





No comments:

Post a Comment