Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Are you ready?

So many people have asked if I'm ready for this Saturday. 

Physically, I'm about as ready as I can be.  Mentally, I'm ready to finally do this.  It's been a long time coming since we first signed up in August.  This marathon has hung over our heads for months.

Yes, I'm ready for this Saturday.

Since we're leaving right after work tomorrow for the drive up to Illinois, tonight is packing night, making sure all the odds and ends are in place so we can leave straight-away tomorrow.


Marathon Weekend Packing To-Do
1.  Make a trip to Dick's Sporting Goods and stock up on energy gels.  Best to get them here in Georgia where there isn't a major race in town that could create a potential gel-shortage. 

 2.  Make granola bars.  Inspired by the recipe found at (never home)maker, these are one of the most delicious, nutritious, and filling things I've ever made, and will be perfect for road trip and marathon day snacks. 

3.  Gather our running gear.  This includes our hats, belts, water bottles, arm bands, and headphones.

4.  Figure out what to wear.  Are we going for comfort or style?  

5.  Gather all the food that we're going to take with us.  Since this trip will be 10+ hours, it's good to bring food with us to minimize as many stops as possible.  I've also decided to bring the same bread, peanut butter, and milk that I typically eat before my runs to keep my diet as consistent as possible.  Saturday is not the time to make changes in my diet that I can easily avoid.

6.  Find reading material and other things to keep us occupied during the car ride.  Poor Phillip has to study on Sunday's ride home for a test that he has on Monday.  Yuck. 

7.  Tidy up the house, just so I don't have to come home to a messy one. 

8.  Charge the camera battery. If only I had known it was dead yesterday, there could've been pictures on here today.  But I digress.  

9.  Prep the things that can't be packed tonight so they're ready to go tomorrow.

10.  Make sure the cats have enough food and water.  It won't do to come home to dead kitties.

11.  Get a good night's sleep.  I'll only regret it tomorrow night if I don't get enough sleep tonight.  Oh, who am I kidding.  I'll fall asleep before we hit Nashville like I always do.  There's no stopping it...

I can't believe that we're driving up tomorrow already.  This week has flown by. 

On Friday we have to pick up our race numbers and other goodies from Health and Fitness Expo at the University of Illinois.  I just found out that we can search for our numbers before we get there!  Awesome.  For those of you who are running the race too, go here to find your number.  

Also for you race runners, in case you haven't read it yet, here's the race guide with all the useful information for the next few days.  Good stuff to know.

The next time I write will be after this Saturday.  Marathon Day.  The day I see if I have what it takes to run 26.2 miles.

I'm ready.












No comments:

Post a Comment