Monday, April 30, 2012

Part 1: Final Preparations

Thursday came before we knew it.

We were on the road by 4:40 that afternoon.  So were half a million other people.  After an hour of taking back roads to avoid sitting on 75, we finally made it to Marietta.  A trip that should have only been 30 minutes.

Once we finally got on the road and past all the Atlanta traffic, our trip was fairly uneventful.  We pulled into my mom's driveway at 2 a.m. Central time, meaning 3 a.m. our time.  Half an hour later we finally made it to bed.

The next morning we were back out the door and on the road up to Champaign.


We met up with Martha to pick up our numbers from the Activities and Recreation Center on the U of I campus.

Since my cousin Lisa wouldn't make it in time to pick up her own number, we were able to pick up hers with ours.  Poor Lisa freaked out when we told her that signing up for a pace team would put her out $50.  Haha, just kidding of course.







After we parted ways with Martha, Phillip and I made a quick stop on Green Street to pick up a new Illinois hat for Phillip.










Then we embarked on another road trip as we drove the course that we were going to be running the next morning.

Source
We parked the car near Mile 25 and ran the last mile up to Memorial Stadium so we could get a quick warm-up run in and get a feel for what the last mile would be like.


I wish I had my camera with me on the run so I could take a picture of the finish line before the stadium was full of people.  It had this amazing feeling knowing that the next time I saw it would be one of the most incredible moments of my life.  At least I got a quick shot of the outside of the stadium as we drove by.

We partook in the traditional pasta dinner that night after Lisa and her family made their way to town for the race.

Recovery shakes were prepared and ready for the next day.


Oh Ultragen, where have you been the last 4 months?

Last minute gear checks were completed.

We were in bed by 10 p.m.  The late night drive had taken it's toll, and we were out.


Stay tuned for Part 2. 


No comments:

Post a Comment